WSB Distributors’ beginnings started on June 9, 1938, when young bank accountant, AJ ‘Johnny’ Walker, set up his own tax and land agency business in Clare known as, AJ Walker.

As World War II broke out, Johnny was called from his business and he moved to Tennant Creek as an Army paymaster.

A family tragedy in late 1943, led him to return to Clare where he re-opened his business, focusing on completing income tax returns, valuation, wills, and selling properties.

Just five years later, in 1948, and Johnny started selling fuel and took on the Morris car dealership - not knowing where this would lead him.

With sales and servicing in full swing, Johnny purchased a garage on Old Main North Road in 1952.

Just 18 months later this was replaced with new premises on Main North Road - the location of WSB Distributors headquarters today.

 

Johnny and Joyce Walker’s son Brian joined the business in 1952 and a three-way partnership was created - trading as AJ Walker & Co

Brian left the business in 1959 and was replaced by Brian Stanway, the son-in-law of Johnny and Joyce (he married their daughter Raelene).

The same year, AJ Walker & Co added agricultural machinery brand Massey Ferguson to its fleet and Mr Stanway became the main salesperson.

Mr Stanway’s passion and direction fitted with the philosophy of AJ Walker & Co and he was made director in July 1960.

This would be the beginning of a long-lasting partnership.